Sunday, February 15, 2009

On Design.

Lately (well, for the last two and a half years) I've been subject to a growing interest in design. Sure, you can call it graphic design if you want. But to me DESIGN is much more than that. It's not just the physical flyer, poster, or ad. It's how those tactile manifestations of the concept of "design" represent the values of an entity, its collective dreams and desires, its foibles, efficiency, even its rapport with others.

I know this sounds like its heavily influenced by four long years at a university as a student in a graphic design curriculum, but it's not. There's a harsh reality:

I don't know shit about design. I've not had training in it. I feel like I'm constantly pestering my designer friend about all sorts of details about design.

Sure, I've got an interest in good design. I realize that there's a ton of meaning silently lurking beneath the surface of any advertisement, and I've been striving to figure it out. I could go to school for it, but to be honest, I'd rather finish my engineering degree.

Yet I still have a yearning to know more, the same way that I want to understand all the grimy details involved in making beer. I don't really want to be a professional brewer, but I do want to make beer as well as a real brewer. I want to be able to have a conversation with a professional brewer about brewing without sounding like a total novice- yet I still want to learn something.

I am striving to approach design in the same manner. I want to, more than anything else, UNDERSTAND. I want to know why Helvetica is so inspiring. I want to be able to lift the hood on a vintage VW ad and see- understand- why it's so appealing. I want to be able to create a piece of art that conveys the sense and the feeling that I feel about something. And I want the viewer of that art to feel a stirring, a desire- without knowing why they feel that way.

I feel that since having that awakening of attention- since the point that I started to see and try to get it- my skills have progressed. I'm well on my way to design geekdom: at a recent party, faced with no Sharpie with which to mark my cup, I cut my name out of a red plastic beer cup (i put another one inside, duh). I tried my hardest to use all lower case Helvetica...and it turned out okay. Dork.

Anyway, here's a progression. Any criticism, complaints, hints, encouragement and especially suggestions of reading material please put in the comments. Thanks in advance.

Template for pint glasses for winners at Rockysprints, our version of roller racing:

One of my earliest, a shirt design on Cafepress. It's unspectacular but a few people bought one:
One Version of the header for a blog I started and sporadically write for:

A spoke card for an alleycat we put on last year (note not very good GIMP work):

Poster for Rockysprints, roller racing a few of us put on in a local bar. This is where I feel like I started to "get it" (even if it is a blatant rip-off of NYC subway signage). FYI, the final version had red behind the 3, since that's what it is in New York.

And the latest version of the Rockysprints poster. Getting better!


-John

4 comments:

  1. John, I'd seen the Patriot design long before I moved to Bozeman and loved it ever since. Imagine my surprise when I went to order one and found out it was you who had designed it. /end compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I challenge you to use anything but helvetica. It's the same to hipsters as the aerospoke on their fixie. It's one thing to the track racer that understands the advantages of said aerospoke. I sometimes feel like a track racer roaming the streets of San Fransisco wondering that the hell happened all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that goes for neue haas grotesk as well. :) That's like saying you preferred some indie band before anyone knew who they were, even though when that happened, you were in fact listening to Avril Lavi(however you spell it)gne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steveo-
    Challenge accepted! Thanks for your guidance, btw.

    ReplyDelete